Please patronize our sponsors. Ads with links are clickable.

bar_eleg.gif (11170 bytes)

BBQ Safety

The backyard barbecue is a summer tradition enjoyed by many Hasbrouck Heights residents. The Fire Department urges outdoor chefs to be cautious when cooking outdoors.

Keep a fire extinguisher handy. Grills should not be placed next to your home’s wall, underneath porches or overhangs, and never indoors.

Be sure to monitor active grills. Wear protective mitts or gloves while barbecuing.

Do not store gasoline or other flammable substances in the grill’s vicinity.

Never move a grill or cover a grill if it is still hot. Always keep curious children away from hot grills. When a gas grill is not in use, remove control knobs and store them inside, away from children.

Lighting a charcoal grill requires caution. Use only the appropriate amount of lighter fluid, and NEVER substitute gasoline, kerosene or other flammable liquids for lighter fluid.

Adding starter fluid after the grill fire has been ignited is extremely hazardous as flames may jump out.

Charcoals should be left to burn out in your grill. Do not dispose of charcoals in trash cans or bring them indoors. Soak coals in water to ensure they are out.

Routinely clean ashes from the grill and inspect for holes or loose fittings.

Lighter fluids and "quick-start" charcoal should be stored outside and away from the home.

Gas grills should be cleaned at least once each season. Spiders often make their homes inside the components, and their webs can block off gas intake and damage your grill.

Use only a gas cylinder designed to store propane and only use a reputable propane supplier to fill it. If a new cylinder is being filled for the first time, tell your supplier so air can be removed.

Most gas grill accidents are caused when propane tanks are hooked up incorrectly. Make sure the cylinder is equipped with an OPD (Over-Pressure Device). When changing propane cylinders, test the connection for leaks with soapy water and tighten as necessary.

Propane gas is odorless. A "rotten egg" odor is put into the gas so that it’s easy to detect if a leak occurs.

If you smell the "rotten egg" odor near or around your propane gas cylinder immediately contact the Fire Department.

When not in use, keep the valve tightly closed and plugged with the "POL" left handed thread plug. This will seal the propane gas cylinder and help prevent leaks if the service valve is accidentally opened.

Never store propane gas cylinders inside an enclosed structure -- store and use outdoors only.

Handle cylinders gently -- dents, gouges and rust can weaken cylinders.

Always keep cylinders upright and, when transporting, secure it in position. Keep your vehicle well ventilated when transporting cylinders.

Don’t leave cylinder in a vehicle -- sitting in a hot vehicle can cause the safety relief valve to discharge gas!

No propane gas cylinder should be scrapped, destroyed, cut with a torch, punctured or have the service valve removed by the public.

Disposal in the municipal solid waste stream is prohibited. Hasbrouck Heights no longer accepts propane cylinders for disposal and/or recycling. ###

BAR_ELEG.GIF (11170 bytes)




Please patronize our sponsors. Ads with links are clickable.

BAR_ELEG.GIF (11170 bytes)

news, information and features  LOGO.GIF (7473 bytes) tm

Home Page      Site Map      teterboro-online.com
The Gazette Newspaper      The-Boulevard-Mall

Thank you for visiting our hometown.  Come back soon!
[Contact Webmaster] [Policy Statement] [Advertising information]   Copyright 1998-2006. All rights reserved. 
To obtain photographic prints for personal use of the photos used in this web-site [Order here]

BAR_ELEG.GIF (11170 bytes)


Please patronize our sponsors. Ads with links are clickable.