M I N U T E S
August 13, 2002
A Regular Meeting of the Mayor and Council of the Borough of Hasbrouck Heights was held on August 13, 2002 at 8 p.m. at the Masonic Hall, 200 Division Avenue, corner of the Boulevard, Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey.
Mayor Torre stated
that the meeting complied with the Sunshine Law, due notice having been made to all
members by personal service on January 1, 2002 and to The Observer, The Record and the
Herald News on January 1, 2002.
ROLL CALL: Present: Mayor William J. Torre, Councilman Andrew Link III, Councilman Herbert D. Heeren, Councilman Garrett R. Pepe, Councilwoman Marlene Verrastro, Councilman John Wassberg
Absent: Councilman Justin A. DiPisa
SALUTE TO THE FLAG AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: Mayor Torre led in the Salute to the Flag and Pledge of Allegiance.
1. Letter from Al Hakanson of 496 Burton Avenue regarding motorcycle noise.
2. Letter from Patrick K. OBrien, Director of Bergen County Department of Public Safety inviting the Mayor and Council to the 12th Annual Public Safety Expo on Oct. 5.
3. Letter from Vito J. Cetta, District Manager Central New Jersey United States Postal Service inviting police officers to attend the renaming of the Long Branch Post Office in honor of Sergeant Pat King, who was killed in the line of duty on Nov. 20, 1997.
4. Letter from Lincoln School Heroes Committee asking for a representative to attend an assembly entitled "A Tribute to Heroes" commemorating the anniversary of Sept. 11 to be held on September 10, 2002.
5. Letter from Senator Joseph Coniglio commending the Mayor and Council for taking a stance in support of the Bergen County Blue Laws.
6. Letter from David Edelstein, Summer Environmental Associate, New Jersey Public Interest Research Group asking for support of its campaign to protect important drinking and recreational water sources across New Jersey.
Mayor Torre asked to have Item #1 referred to the Police Department. Mayor Torre asked the clerk to respond yes to Item #4 and to find out the time.
On a motion by Councilwoman Heeren, seconded by Councilman Verrastro, and unanimously carried, the foregoing correspondence was accepted.
MINUTES: (June 25, 2002 and July 9, 2002)
On a motion by Councilman Heeren, seconded by Councilwoman Verrastro, the foregoing Minutes were approved.
BE IT RESOLVED
that the claims and accounts amounting to $2,075,543.25 specified in the schedule hereto
annexed, having been examined and approved by the Finance Commissioner, or his Deputy, be
paid and that warrants be issued therefor.
On a motion by Councilman Wassberg, seconded by Councilwoman Verrastro, and unanimously carried, the foregoing Resolution was adopted.
138. Bingo License for Corpus Christi Church
139. Raffle License for Hasbrouck Heights Music Parents Association
140. Raffle License for Hasbrouck Heights High School Parents for Athletes
141. Calendar Raffle License for Hasbrouck Heights High School Parents for Athletes
On a motion by Councilman Pepe, seconded by Councilwoman Verrastro, and unanimously carried, the foregoing Consent Agenda Resolutions were approved. (Copies attached.)
143. Dog Licenses - Payment of Fees to State
144. Authorizing Grant Agreement with County of Bergen for FY 2002 Contract for Public Safety Building Elevator
145. Authorizing Redemption of Tax Sale Certificate No. 2001-05 for Block 146, L 28
146. Opposing United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit Declaring "...one nation under God..." Unconstitutional
147. Amending 2002 Budget
A summary explaining the resolution to amend the budget was explained before the resolution was read. The budget was reduced by $276,868.29, three tax points off the budget introduced in March. The average home assessed at $195,000 would pay an increase of $111 for the year. The increase was precipitated in part by a 22% increase in health benefits, union contracts, and a 20% increase in liability insurance.
On a motion by Councilman Wassberg, seconded by Councilwoman Verrastro, and unanimously carried, the foregoing Resolutions were approved. (Copies attached.)
APPOINTMENTS: Isabelle Haag to Ambulance Auxiliary
On a motion by Councilman Pepe, seconded by Councilman Wassberg, and unanimously carried, the foregoing Appointment was approved.
Marilyn Collum as Substitute School Crossing Guard
On a motion by Councilwoman Verrastro, seconded by Councilman Heeren, and unanimously carried, the foregoing Appointment was approved.
RESIGNATIONS: Deborah Greco from the Fire Department Ambulance Auxiliary as of August 9, 2002, due to non-performance of duties
On a motion by Councilman Pepe, seconded by Councilman Wassberg, and unanimously carried, the foregoing Resignation was accepted with regret.
ORDINANCE (S) ON INTRODUCTION:
ORDINANCE NO. 1973:
BE IT RESOLVED that an ordinance entitled "AN ORDINANCE SUPPLEMENTING SECTION 275-20 ENTITLED "REGULATIONS GOVERNING CERTAIN PRINCIPAL USES" OF ARTICLE VI ENTITLED "SUPPLEMENTARY REGULATIONS GOVERNING CERTAIN USES" OF CHAPTER 275 ENTITLED "ZONING" OF THE CODE OF THE BOROUGH OF HASBROUCK HEIGHTS SO AS TO PROHIBIT THE USE OF ANY PREMISES AS A CABARET OR NIGHTCLUB WITHIN 1000 FEET OF CERTAIN OTHER USES" was introduced this date be and the same is hereby passed on first reading and the Borough Clerk be directed to advertise notice of public hearing on said Ordinance to be held at the regular meeting of the Borough Council on August 27, 2002.
On a motion by Councilman Link, seconded by Councilman Wassberg, and unanimously carried, the foregoing Ordinance on Introduction was approved.
ORDINANCE(S) ON PUBLIC HEARING: None
MISCELLANEOUS FROM PUBLIC: This being the first meeting of the month, the Mayor dispensed with opening the meeting to the public and said that the meeting would be open to the public on August 27, 2002.
RECESS FOR CAUCUS
Mayor Torre announced that the meeting would be recessed for Caucus.
There being no further business to be conducted by the Mayor and Council, the meeting was adjourned.
I, ROSE MARIE SEES, Borough Clerk of the Borough of Hasbrouck Heights, do hereby certify that the foregoing Minutes are to the best of my knowledge a true account of the Mayor and Council Meeting held on August 13, 2002.
Rose Marie Sees, RMC